Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Shocking Moment


The other day I was instructing at the promethean board. Our topic was graphing linear inequalities. I gave them two methods on how to figure out where to shade on the graph. We were talking about the second method which was choosing a coordinate point on the graph, plugging it into the inequality, and simplifying to figure out whether the point is part of the solution set. Since this was a secondary method, I did not plan to spend much time on explaining this process and I also thought it was pretty straightforward. When we put the method into practice, I had one student ask me to explain it again. So I described how to follow the process and showed him an example (other students were practicing problems, so it wasn’t interrupting class). He still didn’t understand what I was saying which shocked me because this seems to me to be the easy part of the lesson. I re-explained, drawing the points and writing out arrows to show him my steps. He claimed to understand at that point but I wasn’t convinced. At this time the other students were ready to move on so I couldn’t hold up the lesson any longer. While I continued with instruction, my mentor teacher sat with him to work on the idea. Later in the week we took a quiz that included that concept and he was unable to do it.
            First of all, it really shocked me that this student was unable to understand what seemed to me as a simple concept. Also, I knew that if he couldn’t understand this that he definitely could not have understood some of the other material that is much more difficult in the class. The other thing that struck me was that I could not think of another way to describe the process to him. Maybe if I had taken time to consider this in my preplanning and if we had time in class for him to practice the concept over and other again he might have caught on. Because the other students in the class were able to understand the concept, I would like to think that his confusion came from his own misunderstanding and not my ability to teach it. However, I would have liked to have been able to have a strategy ready so that I could have explained it in a way that he would have understood the idea. Because of what he has shown on his tests and quizzes, my mentor teacher and I think that he is misplaced in this class. However, because there are students in other Algebra 2A classes that have a lower grade than him, they will not move him into another classroom. We have students that are slower than the class average, but the pace is not too rigorous that they get left behind. The big picture of what this incident shows me is that as teachers, we must balance our class so that the average level students can learn at an appropriate rate but that we must consider the way below average students or misplaced students so that we do not leave them behind. I am hoping that as I progress through my teaching experience, I will be prepared for situations such as these.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Hillary, I enjoyed reading your reflection because you provided details to make the situation real, but at the same time, you made clear the big take away points for you about your observation.

    Also, you speculated about what you could have done differently, looking at yourself, rather than placing blame on the student -- students come in to our classrooms with many different kinds of experiences and that's generally where we have to look, prior experiences to account for things we see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I really like the title of your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to teach this concept today and so I am stealing your idea and am going to introduce it in two ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a moment like this when I was explaining why absolute value equations have 2 different answers. For the life of me I couldn't explain to this student why it was so and even my mentor teacher was at a loss for words. I then heard her during another block explain it so well, in a way I hadn't thought about it. I used the new method of explanation today in class. I think some people are still lost but when they think about it, it'll make sense. As much as we would like to be prepared for all questions, I think what's going to help us all the most is just experience. After a few years we'll start to understand how the kids think and be able to better prepare for their questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This happens regularly for me. I am always shocked by what students don't know.

    ReplyDelete