The technology we use in our classroom includes a Promethean board and graphing calculators. The Promethean is great because I can have the essential ideas I want my students to learn already in a presentation. This allows me to walk around and observe my students instead of constantly having to be writing on the board. Also, because my handwriting isn't the greatest, it is great to be able to have pre-written problems that the students can easily read. We have 20 graphing calculators for our class. Thankfully, enough students have their own calculators that we don't have to share calculators. Most of the time, these calculators are used for simple operations especially when we are learning concepts that don't involve graphing. It is kind of sad the types of things my students put in their calculators because of the things they can't do mentally. However, we would not be able to learn the things we are supposed to learn if we did not have these calculators because the students wouldn't be able to get past simple operations. We have a set of clickers (not enough for one per student) but we have not used them yet. Next semester when I have a smaller class, I hope to use them.
For my action research, I plan to look at how does assessing homework in a variety of ways affect test scores and overall student opinion. So far, I plan to assess homework in the following ways: daily completion grades, daily graded for accuracy, graded for accuracy by chapter, and homework quizzes. I want to know how assessing homework affects study habits and retaining knowledge of mathematical concepts.
I never thought of already having the notes written allowing you to walk around but it is a great idea. I am always worried about rushing through if I have the notes already written.
ReplyDelete"It is kind of sad the types of things my students put in their calculators because of the things they can't do mentally."
ReplyDeleteAMEN!
Also, I know my kids don't take notes too well (probably because we print off everything) so them having the slides already printed gives them no excuse not to be able to look back in their notes.
I really like your idea for your action research. I am interested to see your results. I am always wondering how I should really be grading homework, if at all.
ReplyDeleteHillary, the AR topic sounds very relevant - it seems that you could look at it from a teacher's perspective and the students' side of things. What are the pros and cons of each method of grading?
ReplyDeleteHow does each method help you to understand/get to know students and their misunderstandings?
I'm surprised that in your post you did not mention that you have no choice but use your Promethean board... because your room has no white boards!!
ReplyDeleteI am also really interested in your action research project. I plan to switch of the homework assessment styles next semester, homework quizzes are just not working for me.
Some of the methods to assess homework will give me quicker feedback as opposed to other methods which will be more for the students to practice.
ReplyDelete